Thursday, January 9, 2014

Scarlett's Birth Story

It was a beautiful Fall day on October 17th, 2013. It still felt like Summer. I was scheduled to be induced the morning of the 18th but I had been having painful contractions close together. I had been timing them all night & day. Spencer took the day off of work because he was sure she was coming. At around 3:00 we decided it was time to head to the Hospital because walking up and down our stairs wasn't putting me into labor any further and I was ready to get rid of the pain.


Due Date- 40 Weeks Pregnant -10.17.13

When we got to the Hospital, they determined that the contractions weren't close enough apart or strong enough and I was about to be sent home but the Nurse called my Doctor and asked if I could be induced that night instead of in the morning. He said yes!

Spencer and I frantically sent out texts & phone calls so everyone could meet this baby girl. I was hooked up to a saline bag & given pain meds. The pain meds made me feel so nauseous! About a 1/2 hour after they started the Pitocin, my Doctor came in to check the baby's position. Suddenly he said "Uh oh, that's not a head I'm feeling. It feels a lot different than yesterday. I think that's her foot." He made 100% sure she was breach & then gave me 2 options. He said we could either manually flip her around or have a C-section. I decided it was best to do a C-section. I watched both of my sisters have C-sections with all of their kids and wasn't scared at all. 



Within 30 minutes, I was being wheeled to the OR. I rode past my parents in the hall just as they were arriving. It happened so fast that they hadn't even heard the news that I was having a C-section. I was given the anesthesia medication and epidural and my entire lower body went numb. It was the weirdest feeling ever not being able to lift my legs! Spencer sat up by my head and I could tell he was nervous because he talked to me the whole time about random childhood memories. I made him hold my hand & his stories calmed my nerves. I didn't feel a thing, except a lot of pressure! 

After a few minutes (seemed like hours), I heard my baby girl cry! They told me everything was going well & Spencer took a lot of pictures. After she was cleaned off and checked, Spencer brought her over to me so I could see her for the first time. She was so beautiful & healthy. It was such a beautiful experience that I couldn't help but cry. 

Scarlett Alexandra Frandsen
Born @ 7:57pm at Lone Peak Hospital, Draper, UT
7 lbs. 3 oz. & 19.5" long
10.17.13
Eyes Wide Open






 Meeting Grandma Nygren

The next morning, the on-call pediatrician told me that Scarlett had Jaundice because she is a different blood type than me. She had to lay under blue lights & only come out for feedings. It was super hard because we just wanted to cuddle her all day! She had lots of visitors and that didn't stop us from getting her out to hold her :)


Laying in the Bili-bed

Daddy holding the binky in while eating lunch

She was so funny. Every time I would look at her, she had this one foot up in the air! I swear this was the one foot that was always poking out on my left side while I was pregnant.


After 3 nights in the Hospital, it was time to go home... 


Our first family photo! 








No comments:

Post a Comment