Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Transitions

Last month I was MMIA (Mother Missing in Action) b/c my baby girl hit a lot of milestones & made some tough transitions. 

Transition #1: Switching from breast-milk to soy formula

This transition was easy for Scarlett but not for me. I felt guilty because I knew that "breast is best" but I also knew that being a happy Mom was far better. Scarlett had a hard time breast-feeding b/c of acid reflux which made it so that she was bottle fed strictly breast-milk since about 6 weeks old. After an emotionally difficult time trying to make it work, I decided that bottle was best but she was still getting the liquid gold. 

I spent about 4-6 hours out of my day just doing feedings. First she would get a bottle, then I would spend the next 20 minutes pumping, and the next 15 minutes cleaning bottles & pump supplies.

(All of this needed cleaned, usually by hand)

It would take me an hour just to get out the door if we had to be somewhere & then the stress of counting down the minutes until the next feeding/pumping session was such a drag. I would dread it every. single. time. Then on top of feeding her breast-milk, I couldn't eat any dairy b/c she would become colicky & her tummy would hurt. This was torture for me!

Long story short, I was becoming depressed and decided that in order to be happier, I needed to switch to soy formula. Not only would this free up A LOT of my time, but I would be in a better emotional state for my baby, which to me, was worth it. She didn't mind the weaning process & just drank the soy formula as if nothing ever changed in her bottles. That was easy!

Side Note: For any Mom's who are/were in this situation, you seriously deserve a medal! I am not dis-crediting breast-feeding. It just didn't work out for me & I applaud all Mom's who continue to pump/breast-feed. It's a feat!



Transition #2: Crib Training

At around 3 1/2 months old, Scarlett's acid reflux went away. (PHEW! So glad to have that in the past.) But she was sleeping in a bouncer seat on her side because it kept her in an upright position in order to keep the acid down. She was getting too big for it & I knew that I needed to get her in the crib before she got older & harder to train.

Here she is sleeping in the bouncer:



Scarlett showing her cousin Taysen how to sleep on your side :)

Enter --> Crib Training!

I braced myself for some long nights b/c I knew that she would be waking in an un-familiar place (& boy did she!) I started by letting her play in the crib during play times so she could get used to the view. Then I put her bouncer inside the crib to keep getting used to the view. Luckily, she didn't have a hard time taking naps during the day but night was the worst. I resorted to just letting her sleep in the bouncer only at night but inside the crib. Finally, after 2 weeks, and a little more crying than we were used to (Wait... she cried a lot during the first 3 1/2 months of her life), she refused the bouncer when I went to put her to bed! & from then on, she has slept in her crib like a baby. (Wait... she is a baby...)


Dad setting up the crib

The first nap was a success but it went downhill from here...


 I positioned blankets & put the bouncer headrest in the crib so she still felt snug. You can't tell from the picture but I also raised the head of the mattress with a pillow underneath it.

 Then wa-la! It was done, and she is officially a crib sleeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment